For someone who is known as Mister Mobility and who loves his phones, it must come as a surprise to anyone to hear that I find phone calls irritating and distracting. Sometimes, I find them stressful too. From my earliest exposure to mobile devices as a growing child, my love for data has never been in doubt. When GSM mobile telecommunications arrived in Nigeria, I immediately found out that I very much preferred data over voice. My choice of devices generally leaned towards data – Ericsson R380s, Motorola A008 Accompli, Nokia’s Communicators and the like. I barely make phone calls except when absolutely necessary, and I often find that a ringing phone constitutes a rude interruption to my train of thoughts.
As a rule, I would rather send an email, chat or send an SMS than place a phone call. Sue me. I do place and receive voice/video calls, but left to me, my hands would be doing all the communicating. I tweeted about this two days ago:
@Mister_Mobility Same here. I don't like phone calls.
— Ernest Ojeh (@namzo) September 9, 2013
I wasn’t expecting much of a response, and so was shocked when tweep after tweep responded to say that they hate phone calls too. Oh boy! Have a look at some of the responses that I received:
— Muyo-san (@MuyoSan) September 9, 2013
@mister_mobility great am in a good company. My ratio is 50mails : 1call.
— Fámúyîdé Oláwálé (@famuyideolawale) September 9, 2013
Apparently, the virus is far more widespread than I had supposed:
— Wonder Ben (@_1da) September 9, 2013
2. RT @Mister_Mobility: I must be one of the few people on this planet who gets irritated by phone calls. Is there a medical term for this?
— Komole bot (@Abyurla) September 9, 2013
Look, ma! No phone!!
Then, I got the surprise of my life when another gentleman responded with this:
— Donnie Ibiyemi (@donnieibiyemi) September 9, 2013
No phone! He owns no phone – in 2013! He is far advanced on the evolutionary ladder. I wish I could evolve and adapt after him, but then without mobile phones, my life would immediately go from very exciting to terribly boring. I love my phones. I just don’t care much for telephone calls. Phone calls interrupt and demand too much attention.
It looks to me like there is a whole army of people out there who do not like telephone calls. I have had to ask if there is a medical term for this. Not that I think that it is an illness or anything. But you know that there is a medical term for everything these days. If there is none for this hatred of phone calls, perhaps it is time to coin one.
What about you? Are you a hater of phone calls too and have been in hiding? It is time to come out of the closet. There is a huge family waiting to embrace you out there.
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- Hulk or Hercules? See BlackBerry Passport beside Curve 9320 - January 26, 2015
- Photos: This Lumia (535) is on Denim - January 22, 2015
- What apps are you missing on Windows Phone? - January 21, 2015
- BlackBerry Passport Review: Performance and Battery Usage - January 20, 2015
- 16 years ago today, the original BlackBerry was born - January 19, 2015
- Do you have Android Lollipop on your “Google” device yet? - January 19, 2015
- One more thing! Look at these beautiful smartphones from an ex-Apple CEO - January 16, 2015
- Second batch of Nokia N1 sold out in minutes - January 15, 2015
- How to install SOLO View on your tablet - January 13, 2015
- From Windows Phone back to Windows Mobile? - January 13, 2015